Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fontana Lake Solo Trip





In late July I took my first solo overnight canoe trip to Fontana Lake. I paddled from USFS Cable Cove boat ramp upstream to NPS campsite #78 which is on an island. Above are just a few shots from that trip. Fontana has a lot of really neat rock formations along its banks. This one rock in a photo above goes straight down until you can no longer see the rock (very deep). I took my snorkel gear along and dove there. The water is very clear and warm. At 2:00 a.m. a C-130 flew directly over my tent at about 500' above the lake. So cool! I could even hear the props biting into the air as it was so low.

From Campsite #78 to Cable Cove s about 7 miles. With the wind at my back I paddled it in an hour and a half. The next morning I got up at the crack of dawn and was on the water early in case the wind would blow me backwards. It didn't! In fact it took a long time to get back because there was NO wind! What a great lake and campsite. You need to go to #78 if you have time.

1 comment:

Nelson said...

Roger that, campsite 78 is on the radar!